Learn about Liverpool’s history with new Central Library course
A BRAND new course is on offer for anyone who wants to uncover their family tree and learn more about the history of Liverpool
For the first time, Liverpool Record Office is running a special five week course, which starts on Monday 13 February (2-4pm), to give people all the know-how they need on how to trace their family tree, giving them a guide to how to use Liverpool’s Record Office including accessing school and housing records as well as giving access to amazing archived Liverpool images.
In My Liverpool Home will be delivered by Central Library’s experienced and knowledgeable team, it will give people the opportunity to view and understand how to access archives which date back to the 13th century, and will also provide a rare chance to see behind the scenes and visit the purpose-built repository and conservation studio.
Taking place on the fourth floor of Central Library each week of In My Liverpool Home will cover:
- Week One – A guide to the Record Office and its unique resources and how to use them.
- Week Two – Learn about school records which also includes industrial schools which were for children who had lost one, or both, parents.
- Week Three – Look at the impact of the workhouses in Liverpool.
- Week Four – This will introduce people to the resources available at the library for discovering the history of houses and the conditions most working class people had to live in.
- Week Five – This will give people the opportunity to see a photographic history of Liverpool, dating back to the 1850s.
The course will take place each Monday from 13 February until 13 March and each session costs £25. If anyone signs up to the entire course they only pay £100.
Advance booking is essential and this can be done either by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org giving your name, contact details and stating clearly which week you’d like to attend or whether you would like to take part in the full course. Applications can also be made via post to: In My Liverpool Home, Record Office, Central Library, William Brown Street, Liverpool, L3 8EW. Enquiries can also be made at Central Library. Payments can be made on the day of the course.